What is Eigen Layer? In simple terms

ā€¢ EigenLayer is a marketplace for decentralized trust on the Ethereum blockchainā›“ļø

ā€¢ It allows staked ETH to be rehypothecated, meaning users can stake their ETH to secure Ethereum and stake it elsewhere without unstakingāœØ

ā€¢ This means that protocols can benefit from the security of the Ethereum blockchain, as the staked collateral secures both Ethereum and the protocolšŸ”„

ā€¢ Users benefit from double staking yield, one from Ethereum and one from the additional protocol secured that uses EigenLayer :rocket:

ā€¢ This is a novel mechanism in crypto-economic security that enables securing more than one layer of trust with a single collateralšŸ”

ā€¢ Previously, it was not possible to secure more than one layer of trust with a single collateralšŸ’”

ā€¢ EigenLayer overcomes the challenge of fractured trust across the Ethereum blockchainšŸ‘€

Note: Content is taken from coinmarketcap research reportšŸ‘

#eigenlayer #eigen #restaking #ethereum

107 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! Big fan of CoinMarketCapā€™s research.

15 Likes

Thanks Buddy, Keep Building :sunglasses:

17 Likes

Hello, do I understand correctly that this concept of creating a high level of trust is more needed for oracle applications?

9 Likes

hey @kuser

indeed, itā€™s very hard to create an oracle today because you have to start building your own trust network.

oracle is an example of a service that can be built on eigenlayer and so yeah you dont have to worry about chainlink that already has high economic security (and even more recently with around 200M at stake) because you have theoretically 25B available at stake on ethereum.

8 Likes

Can you provide an example use-case please, say for example someone has stETH from staking their ETH on LIDO and they get stETH in return for their ETH. I believe they cannot withdraw this until the Shanghai upgrade is doneā€¦ Where does Eignlayer fit in to all of this?

2 Likes

hey @RamanSB

eigenlayer should be live a few months after shanghai upgrade so no need to worry about that :)

3 Likes

What are the risks associated with this method?
Will the risk double or more in critical circumstances?

3 Likes

I am waiting fro the testnet. It is geat to add income fo stake eth

3 Likes

I think, you should to read the official Whitepaper of EigenLayer, for better understanding :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the simple explanation! Looks like Iā€™m going to have to read the whitepaper next to gain that deeper understanding :sweat_smile:

Right before I met Sreeram at ETH Denver, some guy came up with a printed version of the whitepaper and begged him to sign it (he did) :star_struck: :joy:

4 Likes

Well, Thanks for your time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :heart:

2 Likes

Simple but have a quite futuristic concept.
Eigen Layer would be a big boy when these approach are become the model.

3 Likes

Theyā€™re revolutionizing the Crypto space like never before! :zap::rocket:

2 Likes

You can read the discussion forum here to finding the answer of your question! :blush:

3 Likes

thank you bro. it is very helpful

4 Likes

Have a good day, Keep understanding the EigenLayer :zap::heart:

3 Likes

Whitepaper is quite interesting. I had this ā€œWOWā€ effect while reading it, thatā€™s a good sign ! Ideas have no value without a proper execution, but Eigen Layer could change a lot of things in this ecosystem

4 Likes

Ofcouse, Theyā€™re building just because they want to (Unleash the real power of Ethereum).

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this informative post about EigenLayer! It is fascinating to learn about the innovative mechanisms that are being developed in the world of blockchain and crypto-economics. Your summary of EigenLayerā€™s benefits and features is clear and concise, making it easy for readers to understand the value that this marketplace provides. Keep up the great work in sharing valuable insights about the latest developments in this exciting field!

5 Likes